Wednesday, June 6, 2012

If you stop 2 sentences into this because you realize its political, then you have proved my point.

I am ashamed of you america, I'm not even going to capitalize you. I'm not upset that the right won. I agree with Scott Walker on several things (though not on the main issue; re: my mother's union was just on strike this year) I'm upset with how Scott Walker won.

What upsets me is how we've chosen to communicate with our constituents. The majority of people who consider themselves politically active in this country, get their opinions from MSNBC, or Fox News; and those people generally already have their minds made up when they tune in. In the words of a great man: stop, stop, stop hurting america.

Where is my neutral information source, america? Why don't you trust me to make up my own mind? Why does every story have a spin? Why does the majority of the nation know which party most recently made a fool of itself in an interview, but virtually NO ONE on the street can tell me what bills are being discussed on the floor today?

Why do poor white americans routinely vote against their best interests, solely because they're told to and they don't know any better? Why are there minorities who are not well informed enough to realize they need to vote? Why are there YOUNG PEOPLE in the MAJORITY who are content with being uninformed, not casting their choice, and yet are almost always the most vocal when it comes time to complain?

Why is there no limit on the amount of money you can throw at me to sway my opinion, and similarly how can you allow me to complain about it while ignoring how much a recall election costs every municipality in Wisconsin?

In short, stop getting your opinions from partisan TV, radio, commercials, and print. If you cant be pissed off by the first story, confused by the second, and empowered by the third, STOP Paying attention to it. If you see an ad that ends in "paid for by..." ANYTHING. disregard it. Care enough to figure out which issues are closest to your heart and develop your own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment